Character Lab is a nonprofit devoted to advancing the science and practice of character development. All of the job details are listed below and the link to the job can be found here: https://characterlab.janehires.com/Jobs/0OFH35iGHkGIJEsetJfldg
Position: Research Partnerships Manager
Company: Character Lab
Name of Supervisor: Emma Satlof-Bedrick
Closing Date: 9/01/19
Character Lab is looking for a Research Partnerships Manager. Reporting to our Director of Research Partnerships, they will support Character Lab Research Network’s (CLRN) data management and liaise with both external and internal partners to develop efficient systems for collecting and disseminating research data. They will also prepare and manage communications regarding research projects on the network, ensure project timelines are met, manage Character Lab’s open science initiatives such as coordinating preregistration, and manage Character Lab’s internal research. The Research Partnerships Manager will ensure that data management is running smoothly for our partner school districts and research collaborators. This person will come into a role where they can combine their passion for research and education with their skills in project management and communication.
We are looking for an individual who has hands-on experience with research, data collection and data management, and understands their demands. Juggling multiple projects at once, the right candidate embraces time management, can spot areas to improve process inefficiencies and will thrive within our small and dynamic team.
About Character Lab
Character Lab is a nonprofit devoted to advancing the science and practice of character development. We were founded in 2012 by two educators (Dave Levin and Dominic Randolph) and one scientist (Angela Duckworth) who see character development as essential to helping all children thrive.
Our research has shown that success and well-being depend on a multitude of strengths that are organized into three dimensions: interpersonal, intrapersonal, and intellectual. Interpersonal strengths like gratitude and empathy enable caring relationships with other people; intrapersonal strengths like grit and growth mindset enable achievement; and intellectual strengths like curiosity and humor enable a fertile life of the mind.
To advance the science of character development, Character Lab connects leading psychologists with middle and high schools across the country. To advance the practice of character development, Character Lab translates research findings into Playbooks, instructional materials co-created with scientists, educators, and designers. To learn more, see our most recent Annual Letter.
Our culture is both challenging (we’re never done improving) and supportive (one of our core values is excessive generosity). We are a small team working under one roof. To learn more, read our Culture Book.
· Liaising between researchers and school district data teams
· Managing external vendor relationships, including an external data processing organization
· Creating operational procedures for data management
· Facilitating the work of top tier scientists
· Ensuring quality communication and strong relationships with researchers
· Coordinating data collections with schools/districts
· Managing IRB protocols and grant proposals
· Manage open science initiatives
· Preparing and managing communications regarding research projects
· Identifying opportunities for increased efficiency
· Maintaining attention to detail and accuracy in all tasks
· Bachelor’s in Psychology, Education, Statistics, Economics or a related social sciences field, Master’s preferred
· 4+ years work experience
· Significant experience in social science research, with a strong passion for education; prior experience working in education a plus but not required
· Prior experience with data management
· Prior experience managing external vendors or consultants a plus
· Excellent project and time management skills
· Proficiency in at least one programming language a plus (Python, Matlab, Stata, C#, and/or R)
· A high level of thoroughness and attention to detail, in order to maintain our high quality of work
· Fierce work ethic and sense of purpose, with the ability to work well as part of a dynamic start-up
· Highly effective interpersonal communication, collaboration, and writing skills
· Prolonged and irregular hours of duty, as necessary
· Some light to medium level of manual labor (e.g., preparing mailings, moving boxes of materials)
Character Lab is an equal opportunity employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply. We accept applications on a rolling basis. Please submit a compelling cover letter with your resume.
Competitive salary is commensurate with individual’s experience and skills. All full-time employees receive a comprehensive benefits package.
Thank you and please let me know if you need anything else!