The SCIP (social cognition & intergroup processes) Lab, directed by Dr. Sylvia Perry at Northwestern University in the Department of Psychology seeks a full-time (with benefits) lab manager/research technician beginning the Summer or Fall of 2021.
The initial appointment will be for one year, with the possibility to extend for additional years based on performance and continued funding. The lab manager will work closely with the PI and lab group on a research program investigating how social contexts and attitudes affect behavioral and physiological outcomes within intergroup interactions in both adult and child populations.
· overseeing day-to-day lab operations
· designing, running, and analyzing experiments with children and adults
· hiring, coordinating, training, and proactively working with undergraduate research assistants
· data management
· participant recruitment and scheduling
· development and maintenance of a participant database
· coordinating school visits
· maintaining IRB protocols, budgeting, website, etc.
· assisting in planning lab events and meetings
· a Bachelor’s degree in psychology or a related discipline
· research experience in a social and/or developmental psychology lab
· one or more years of research experience with children and/or racially diverse populations
· experience in a psychophysiological or dyadic interactions lab [e.g., experience working with, cleaning, and analyzing autonomic nervous system data (using AcqKnowledge and/or MindWare software), coding verbal and non-verbal data, and/or creating dictionaries in LIWC]
· excellent organizational and multitasking skills and the ability to work independently
· strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills
· extremely efficient in email correspondence
· programming skills in Qualtrics, Inquisit, Prolific, and Mechanical Turk; and knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite
· strong analytical skills (e.g., experience with SPSS, R, etc.)
· working knowledge of image and/or video design and editing (e.g., Photoshop, Final Cut)
SCIP lab members have been accepted into competitive Social, Community, and Clinical Psychology PhD programs, thus this position is ideal for individuals who wish to pursue research in the future. The lab manager/research technician will be involved with scientific presentations at conferences, the writing of journal manuscripts, and the ability to start their own projects in collaboration with Dr. Perry and her research lab.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV/resume, and arrange to have two letters of recommendation sent to Dr. Perry at . Please use the subject line “lab manager position” in your email, and have your letter writers use the subject line “letter of recommendation for [your name] for lab manager position”. If this ad is still available on the website, the position is still available.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but we encourage applicants to submit their materials by April 30, 2021. Questions about this position should be directed to Dr. Sylvia Perry at .