The Journal of Cognition and Development publishes the very best articles on research that informs cognitive development, including behavioral, computational, cognitive neuroscience, adult cognition, cross-cultural, and cross-species comparative approaches that address how cognition develops.
To access the online journal: Active Members may click the button below to access the journal. You will be asked to enter the username and password that you received when you signed up or renewed your Membership. If you have not yet renewed your membership, please Renew Here
Print versions of the journal are available for purchase through the membership form.
The journal’s primary focus is on full length empirical reports although high impact short reports (max. 4000 words) will also be considered. In addition to empirical reports, the journal includes a feature called “Tools of the Trade” (authored by invitation only) regarding methodological issues of interest to the readership of the journal, theoretical essays (occasionally accompanied by peer commentaries), and essay reviews of new and significant books. Criteria for acceptance of submitted manuscripts include the theoretical import of the research, the substance of the argument (including methodological rigor and support for conclusions drawn), the ingenuity of ideas or approach, the quality of expression, and the relevance of the work to issues of broad interest.
Submission of Manuscripts:
The Journal of Cognition and Development is now on Scholar One (formerly known as Manuscript Central). All new submissions and review requests will be processed through this web-based journal management system. If you have questions about the system, please contact
To submit a new manuscript, create an account, or become a reviewer for JCD, please go to http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/hjcd
Manuscripts that are currently under consideration by another journal, or that have been published previously, in whole or in part, may not be submitted.
CDS Members are eligible for a 20% discount on article publishing charges (APCs). Authors will be required to enter a discount code when choosing open access on entry to CATS (the journal’s production system articles enter after being accepted in ScholarOne). Please contact the Secretariat to receive the discount code.
Depositing of accepted manuscripts into PubMed:
The Journal of Cognition and Development’s publisher, Taylor and Francis, will take responsibility for transferring NIH-funded manuscripts to PubMed on behalf of authors when the manuscript is submitted for copyediting, 3 months prior to publication.
Call for Nominations, Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Cognition and Development
The Journal of Cognition and Development, the official journal of the Cognitive Development Society (CDS), publishes rigorous and original research informing all aspects of cognitive development and embraces a variety of perspectives and methodologies. We are seeking nominations for the Editor-in-Chief, with the term to begin in Fall, 2021.
The successful candidate for the position of JCD Editor will be recognized internationally for their achievements in this area and have a track record of publications and presentations at conferences. They will also have an extensive international network of contacts, so that the profile of the Journal can continue to be developed. The ideal candidate will be skilled in diplomacy, networking, and written and verbal communication. The ideal candidate will also be committed to broadly ensuring that a diversity of viewpoints, methodologies, and theoretical perspectives on the field are represented.
Other skills and/or experience the successful candidate should have include:
- Previous editorial experience
- Open science practice knowledge
- Strategic thinking skills to grow the journal with an increase in citations and impact factor
The position of the Editor includes:
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the Journal, especially the peer review process
- Management of the journal operating budget
- Facilitating thorough, fair, and fast peer review through the delegation of Associate Editors, the invitation of peer reviewers, and the synthesis of peer review reports into a manuscript decision
- Encouraging submissions from authors and serving as an ambassador of the Journal
- Monitoring and improving Journal operations and the effectiveness of the Journal’s editorial goals and policies
- Collaborating with the Publisher and CDS Board of Directors to explore strategic new initiatives, policies, and subject areas in order to enhance Journal quality and growth
- Maintaining regular communication with the Publisher to discuss the journal’s performance, operations, and management of the Associate Editors
- Managing Editorial Board, including inviting and retiring members and monitoring performance
- Maintaining regular communication with the Associate Editors and the Editorial Board to keep them engaged and energized.
The Editor of Journal will participate in Society Board Meetings as an Ex-Officio member and is responsible for ensuring the Board is kept apprised of any journal concerns.
The Editor of Journal shall have the power to delegate specific responsibilities to Associate Editors and the Editorial Board. To keep the flow of papers maintained and the decision times to a minimum, the successful candidate should be prepared to invest a small amount of time each day managing Journal concerns.
A sub-committee of the CDS Board of Directors will lead the search and process of Editor selection with the full Board of Directors reaching a final decision.
Applicants should send a covering letter, curriculum vitae, and a vision statement for the Journal in one pdf file. Please send all application materials by May 1, 2021 to the CDS Secretariat.